As most of you know, I have been a member of The National Association of Professional Organizers (NAPO) since starting Organizing Concepts and Designs in 2010. For those of you who are not familiar with NAPO, NAPO is The Organizing Authority®!
Since forming in 1985 as a nonprofit professional educational association, NAPO has grown to nearly 4,200 members. NAPO leads and advances the organizing and productivity industry and is dedicated to serving its members and the public by providing professional educational opportunities, industry leadership, productive partnerships and expert information and solutions to foster growth and fulfillment for all who work within the organizing and productivity industry or benefit from its service.
NAPO established GO Month in January 2003 to focus national attention on how getting organized empowers people to take back control over their time, in-boxes, paperwork and possessions.
For businesses wishing to implement a more organized and structured system, NAPO offers these tips:
- Create a list of priorities for your business and determine what needs immediate action. A professional organizer or productivity specialist can review your priorities and recommend a plan for getting started, without interrupting your daily business workflow.
- Practice better time management! A NAPO member can help both you and your staff hone time management skills and increase productivity in the workplace.
- Evaluate your space. Does it feel productive and calm? Physically setting up better-functioning spaces can help employees reduce stress and feel motivated. A professional organizer or productivity specialist will help create the ideal balance so your workspace feels energizing, yet relaxing.
Employees report feeling more satisfied as a result of a supportive employer providing the tools to improve productivity and reduce stress.
Organizing does not end in the workplace. Families are busier than ever before, and being organized can help reduce stress which helps lead to better health and an overall feeling of well being.
NAPO offers these tips for organizing yourself, your routine, and your family calendar:
- Decide that you deserve it! Understand that you deserve to have more control over your time, your surroundings, and less stress due to feeling overwhelmed. Commit to adding structure and stability to your life.
- Create one calendar for scheduling the activities of everyone in your household, and daily/weekly/monthly checklists for each member of your family. Display the lists and calendar in a central location of your home, like the refrigerator or mudroom.
- Prioritize your organization wants and needs. What room or space needs immediate attention? Talk to a NAPO member about your organization or productivity needs. He or she can help you get organized, but teach you skills to keep you that way.
- Set realistic goals for organizing. With the help of a NAPO organizer or productivity professional, you can reach your organizing goals in a systematic way that will keep you motivated and empowered to success. You can achieve your organizing and productivity goals by creating a plan and sticking with it over time.
So, jumpstart January feeling powerful, productive and organized!