Can you find your important documents when you need them right away? Are they all in one place?
Having your important documents organized and in one place, is, by far, one of the most important areas of your life to have organized.
All of your important documents can and should be stored safely, in one place, to prevent chaos in the case of a disaster or emergency. Take control of your important documents and get them organized before something happens. Put them together in a binder or if you have one, a fireproof/waterproof container. Whatever you choose, make sure that it is accessible and can be easily carried out of the house in case of any emergency.
The following is a list of documents that should be kept together and in a safe place:
- Last Will & Testament
- Living Trust
- Power of Attorney
- Healthcare Directives
- Beneficiary Designations
- Birth Certificates
- Adoption Records
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Marriage License
- Divorce Decrees or Separation Agreement
- Child Support Documents
- Mortgage Papers/Real Estate Deeds
- List of All Tangible Personal Property
- Most Recent Tax Returns
- Military Service Records/Military Discharge Papers
- Insurance Papers (The “Declarations” page of your Insurance Policies including, but not limited to, Homeowners, Flood, Earthquake, Umbrella, Life and Term)
- Automobile Leases/Vehicle Titles
- Employment Contracts/Business Agreements
- Contact Information (Friends, Family, Doctors, Bankers, Lawyers, Insurance Brokers/Agents, Business Associates)
- Social Security Cards/Passports/Visas
- Medical Records for Each Family Member (Including Pets)
Finally, make sure to give someone else, perhaps your attorney or other trusted advisor, a copy for safekeeping.