January is “Get Organized” Month. (Yes Really!)
Happy New Year everyone. I hope you all got off to a good start in 2024.
I have been a member of The National Association of Productivity and Organizing Professionals (NAPO) since starting Organizing Concepts and Designs, aka OCD, in 2010. For those of you who are not familiar with NAPO, NAPO is The Organizing Authority®!
In January 2003, NAPO established GO Month (Get Organized) to focus national attention on how getting organized empowers people to take back control over their time, in-boxes, paperwork and possessions. It makes sense as getting organized is one of the top 10 New Years Resolutions that people make year after year.
However, New Years Resolutions aside, what better time to get organized for the year than NOW anyway. I’d like to pass along a quote which will hopefully encourage and motivate you to start: “Done is better than perfect”. As long as you do something, anything, to get some area in your life organized, it’s better than doing nothing.
Here’s some tips to get started:
- Choose a room, any room.
- Select a small area within that room (a closet, a cabinet, a drawer).
- Give yourself a half hour, without interruption, to go thru that area.
- Take everything out. That’s right everything!
- Start purging. Throw away the broken, ripped, damaged items.
- Put those items that are in good condition but that you don’t use or need into a box or a bag and set them aside to donate. There are so many great charities that can make good use of the things that you no longer need or want.
- Finally, start to put everything back by categorizing. For example, if you chose to organize your clothes, separate the suits from the active wear.
Voila! That’s it. It doesn’t have to be perfect. It just needs to be easily accessible and functional for you.
Rinse and repeat. Follow these steps and do this in any and all areas that need some organizing. Select one area every day or once a week and before you know it, your home or office will be, at the very least…better organized.
We are all busier than ever before and being organized can help reduce stress which leads to better health and an overall feeling of well-being.
So, jumpstart 2024 feeling powerful, productive and organized!
If you or anyone you know needs help with Organizing, Downsizing, Relocations, Estate Sales or Clearing a Property, let them know that we’d love to be of service!