As you can imagine, my job requires me to be in other people’s homes on a daily basis.
Before starting work for the first time, we do a walk through so that my client can show me around, show me what’s bothering them and talk about what they want organized or “better” organized as the case may be.
What I find interesting is that I see things that they don’t even though to me, it’s obvious.
I think we all, myself included, get so used to our surroundings that we no longer see what others see when they walk into our homes or offices for the first time. Clutter is basically hidden in plain sight:
- The books on the shelf can’t be seen or retrieved because there’s too many framed photos in front of them.
- There are so many papers or mail on part of the kitchen counter that those living in the home no longer use that space for what it’s intended…LIKE a place to eat.
- The shelves on top of the cabinets or bookshelves have decorative items that are there because it never occurred to anyone to change them (or, please forgive me … clean them).
- The garage is full but nobody seems to care because it’s been that way for sooooo long and, isn’t that what the garage is for anyway?
- The files are exploding in the filing cabinet so you just start putting files elsewhere because there’s no more room.
It usually isn’t until the walls are closing in or someone brings those things to our attention that we do something about it.
FYI, I am one of the most organized people I know (if I don’t say so myself) and it happens in my home too. Even though my home is extremely organized, once a year I have one of my assistants come to my house to assess and provide some suggestions as to how things might work or look better. Each and every year something is changed and the change is always for the better. For me, it makes a world of difference.
These are just a few of the many reasons why hiring a Professional Organizer is helpful. They see things with a fresh set of eyes, provide a new perspective and then implement those changes to maximize efficiency and productivity. Better yet, having someone else help you is much more fun and is so much quicker.
If you are feeling cramped in your space (any space), need an update (think filing system) or a do-over (think garage), give me a call and let’s talk about the many ways we can be of service!
We’re ready when you are.