Someone asked me the other day if I was super organized. Without hesitation I answered Yes.
The next questions was how do you stay organized? Great question and one I get asked ALL OF THE TIME. The answer: Time Management. Probably not what she was expecting me to say BUT, it’s so true.
We all have the same 24 hours in a day. We all have a lot of s*-t to do. I hear it all the time. “I need more hours in the day”. No, that’s not we need. If we had more time in the day we’d just all fill it up with more to do.
So, here’s some quick and easy ways to manage your time more efficiently every day:
- Give yourself extra time. Wouldn’t it be nice to get somewhere a little early, even if its just a few minutes, rather than to stress out over being late. Since you have no control over traffic and other variables, why push the limit? Get started a little earlier. Just a little.
- Make it a habit. If you normally wake up at 7:00 AM during the week but you’re always feeling rushed or stressed, set your clock just a few minutes earlier. Even 10 minutes will help. Leave the clock set for the earlier time. You’ll get used to it like everything else. Just give it time (no pun intended) Oh, and no pushing the snooze alarm! If it’s that difficult to get up 10 minutes earlier, then seriously get to sleep earlier. This isn’t that difficult and you can do it. I have faith in you!
- Do not add another thing to do in the morning during that extra time. This time is for you! The purpose is to get out on time without being stressed out or running late.
- Have a plan! I plan over the weekend for the coming week. Do I always get everything done? No! But I do prioritize so that the important things do get done. The other stuff sometimes has to wait. But, having a plan, knowing what needs to get done makes it easier to stay on track. So much easier! It might be something as simple as writing a To Do list. It might be going through your calendar and reminding yourself what appointments you have so you can be prepared. Whatever it is, I can assure you that planning ahead will make your life easier.
- Don’t make this more difficult than it needs to be. We live in a 24/7 world with lots to do. Everyone is busy! If you’re tired of constantly rushing, being stressed out, running late or feeling overwhelmed because you just can’t seem to keep up or catch up, see #1 above (Give yourself extra time). You may want to consider giving something up but if it will make a difference I’m thinking it would be worth it to get off the hamster wheel.