Okay people. Let’s start this conversation right now. No beating around the bush. Let’s just get right to it. There are only a few good reasons to have a storage unit and even those are limited. Here they are:
- If you are remodeling and are using a storage unit to keep your furnishings clean and safe during the renovation.
- If you are moving and using it to store your things for a SHORT period of time until your new residence is ready.
- If you need it to keep inventory for your business.
That’s it. There’s really no other reason to have a storage unit for an extended period of time. Sorry but that’s the truth.
As a Professional Organizer, I have to say that if you haven’t used it (whatever “it” is) in 6 months to a year, chances are you won’t and don’t need it. Further, having the option of putting things in storage enables and may even subconsciously tempt you to acquire more since there’s “somewhere” to put it. Finally, knowing what storage can wind up costing, I can assure you that it is not worth it. Just do the math!
Here are some questions for you to think about:
- If you’re storing things that you have no room for, how important can those things be?
- Why don’t you have room for the items you’re storing?
- Can you get easily access the things you need that are in storage?
- How long have you been storing these things?
- When was the last time you went to retrieve something from storage and were able to find what you were looking for?
- How much money are you spending on storage?
Here’s the facts:
- Storage costs a lot of money!
- People usually store things because they can’t decide what to do with those items.
- Most of the items that people store never find their way back into the homes of those that stored them.
So, before the weather starts heating up and it’s just too hot to even think about going through your storage units, let’s do this now, together! This is how we can help:
- We will empty everything out of the unit so that you can see everything;
- We will go through each and every box and/or item to determine what to keep, what to donate and what to toss;
- We will facilitate each of these options;
- We will do this in one day!
Sounds good right? So don’t put this off for another day. Let’s do this!